FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chat about everything and anything to do with St Barts

I Need Advice About the Ferry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Miles View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I Need Advice About the Ferry
    Posted: 07 February 2007 at 12:21am
So ive reserved my hotel to come visit this August 1st - 10th. Now im trying
to book my round trip flight from NY to SXM. But i want to do it in
accordance with the ferry schedules so im not stuck on St Martin for a night.
Now i have found the ferry schedules, but i am still confused. Some people
say some of these ferrys are out of service? Do i need to make a
reservation? Or can i just show up on the docks and purchase a ticket? I
would try to chater a plane with Terrance or someone because thats what
most people do. But im trying to cut costs as much as possible here so i
have more money to spend on the island. Any suggestions or advice will be
much appreciated!!! Thank you!!! You all have been so helpful, and have
helped convince me to make this vacation happen.
Second Star View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Star Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2007 at 1:25am
Miles - Rapid Explorer is out of service.  Voyager and Edge are still operating.  Someone else will have to speak to cost and schedule.
CEC1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CEC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2007 at 1:31am
I recommend flying to St. Barths (ask Terrance for advice) . . . and return to SXM by ferry.  Trip over to St. Barths generally is quite rough . . . and not many people make it without some degree of seasickness.
Terrance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terrance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2007 at 2:14am

The Voyager ferry can sometimes be very busy. Sunday I had to literally drive over to Oyster Bay to buy 2 tickets in advance just to secure places for 2 pax arriving late after sunset. They only had 7 seats left for the 6:45 boat to SBH. They arrive 4 minutes before the boat was scheduled to leave. Talk about timing.

Miles, send me a PM with your email address, I will email you the 5 options to getting to SBH including the ferry schedule and fares.

T.

AirStMaarten offers seamless connections to St. Barths.
Book your private & shared charters, commercial flights and VIP service to SBH at www.AirSXM.com.
Squally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2007 at 7:14am
If you decide to take the ferry- it should be a very pleasant ride,
especailly that time of year... unless there is any kind of tropical storm or
depression in the area. Generally though Aug sees very calm waters and a
great ride over... It just takes about 5X longer than flying!!
sveiksx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sveiksx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2007 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Terrance Terrance wrote:

The Voyager ferry can sometimes be very busy. Sunday I had to literally drive over to Oyster Bay to buy 2 tickets in advance just to secure places for 2 pax arriving late after sunset. They only had 7 seats left for the 6:45 boat to SBH. They arrive 4 minutes before the boat was scheduled to leave. Talk about timing.

Thanks, again, Terrance!

...The two pax were us. I cannot even begin to say enough good about the over-and-above service Terrance provides. He even went way out of his way to help find lost luggage that was not his responsibility. (Terrance, I found it at Winair the morning we were leaving!)

Terrance, you are a stand-out and a good man.

Again, thank you!

Marty

Terrance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terrance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2007 at 10:49am

Quote He even went way out of his way to help find lost luggage that was not his responsibility. (Terrance, I found it at Winair the morning we were leaving!)

Well, well, well... that one had me stumped.
Unbelievable!?! Because when Delta finally located the luggage and sent it down to SXM we specifically told the Delta agent to send them over on Air Caraibes.
Wow! Mystery solved.

But anyway.... I am so glad to hear from you.
Thanks for the kind words. I was more than glad to pro-actively help a client out. I hate it in others when they disown a problem (even if it is not their problem) and don't take any responsibility for finding a solution.

Book your private & shared charters, commercial flights and VIP service to SBH at www.AirSXM.com.
Terrance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terrance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2007 at 11:18am

By the way: I must say this Marty: you were tremendously calm and cool and just kept laughing about the whole affair all the time you were in SBH and every time you called me. Others would have been freakin' out by the second day.

Reminds of a time me and my GF were on a cruise and our luggage got left behind in Germany due to bad weather and plane changes. We had to take a cruise from Miami. The airline agent promised our luggage would get sent on to Cozumel and that it would be delivered to our ship the next morning.

So the first night we had to buy clothes on board to wear. The ship reached Cozumel the next morning and our luggage was no where to be found. We decided to take a tour of the island anyway.

On the way we happened to pass the airport. So we decided on a thought to tell the driver to stop and ran inside the airport. We hounded everyone and anyone who could tell us about any luggage brought from Miami for our cruise ship. No one knew anything. And you know the Mexican laid back style of reacting to everything and anything: "Manana, manana!!"

Tomorrow!?! There was no tomorrow. We are leaving for Grand Cayman this afternoon, hombre!!! So I begged a security guard if he would let us through to the back into the luggage area to have a quick look. He had mercy on me. Probably felt sorry for my GF who dreaded having to miss the captain's gala evening

When we went into the bagage area.... there was our luggage!!!

I was incredulous! I was both shocked and happy at the same time.  I could not believe it.

So there is something to be said about not worrying or stressing things during vacations. Or anytime for that matter. Lost your luggage? Ach! So what? Have fun any way.

sveiksx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sveiksx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2007 at 5:01am
Originally posted by Terrance Terrance wrote:

By the way: I must say this Marty: you were tremendously calm and cool and just kept laughing about the whole affair all the time you were in SBH and every time you called me. Others would have been freakin' out by the second day.

Reminds of a time me and my GF were on a cruise and our luggage got left behind in Germany due to bad weather and plane changes. We had to take a cruise from Miami. The airline agent promised our luggage would get sent on to Cozumel and that it would be delivered to our ship the next morning.

So the first night we had to buy clothes on board to wear. The ship reached Cozumel the next morning and our luggage was no where to be found. We decided to take a tour of the island anyway.

On the way we happened to pass the airport. So we decided on a thought to tell the driver to stop and ran inside the airport. We hounded everyone and anyone who could tell us about any luggage brought from Miami for our cruise ship. No one knew anything. And you know the Mexican laid back style of reacting to everything and anything: "Manana, manana!!"

Tomorrow!?! There was no tomorrow. We are leaving for Grand Cayman this afternoon, hombre!!! So I begged a security guard if he would let us through to the back into the luggage area to have a quick look. He had mercy on me. Probably felt sorry for my GF who dreaded having to miss the captain's gala evening

When we went into the bagage area.... there was our luggage!!!

I was incredulous! I was both shocked and happy at the same time.  I could not believe it.

So there is something to be said about not worrying or stressing things during vacations. Or anytime for that matter. Lost your luggage? Ach! So what? Have fun any way.

Thanks, Terrance!...Losing it would not have made them appear, especialy on someone who was helping me, in the first place! I think the "system" was not allowing you to get inside the loop. I just did like you in your story and searched them out.

Next time down, I owe you a beer!

Marty

Terrance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terrance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2007 at 8:49am

Originally posted by sveiksx sveiksx wrote:

Next time down, I owe you a beer!

I look forward to collecting on that.
Make mines a Heineken.

Cheers

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic